Web3 Literacy Video Series: Gauging Community Support for a Non-Technical Proposal (Sponsorship/Grant)

Hello, Horizen community!

My name is Shirley, I’m a Web3 literacy educator & community outreach extraordinaire working with the Puerto Rico Blockchain Trade Association (PRBTA) https://www.prblockchain.org/, a non-profit organization focused on blockchain policy, community and education. My goal since 2021 has been to provide guidance to the blockchain/crypto curious, regardless of their technical background, so they can onboard Web3 with a well rounded understanding of how things work and why getting involved in building the future of the internet matters. Up to August last year the PRBTA was offering Web3 literacy seminars (100% free, mainly in Spanish) to our community in Puerto Rico, and over the past few months we have been working on turning those into a Spanish-first, free-access video series for Youtube.

The video series is meant for our Spanish speaking audience, making it valuable for any Spanish-speaker interested in entering the world of Web3. This last point is important to me personally, as I was born in Central America, where I have witnessed first-hand how basic Web3 literacy could help those who have very limited access to information in their native language. Moreover, the region presents a huge opportunity for Web3 onboarding to unlock their participation and agency in our developing ecosystem. The opportunity of accessible Web 3.0 education is of global concern - many people do have a very limited understanding of what “Web 3.0” is, much less how it relates to blockchain tech, or even their own future.

Right now, we are looking for sponsors/grants to support us with the video production, and we would be delighted if there was interest from the Horizen DAO and the community to get involved.

Our goal with this video series is to provide the basic information, knowledge and tools any person with a proficient level of digital literacy would need to onboard Web3 as safely as possible on their own. Additionally, we also want them to understand the significance of what blockchain technology enables and why this is a critical time for action. We’ve already produced the first video in the series (a “pilot” episode, if you will), which you can find here. It’s in Spanish, (with English subtitles) and it captures the “feel” of what we want to put out into the world.

There are many ways the DAO community could support us with our mission, but to get started we need funding to keep the project going. The sponsorship/grant we need in order to secure the completion of the video series is $21K. However, it is also possible to sponsor a single video for $3500.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, and please, ask me questions!! I’d be happy to share more details, and even perhaps find other ways of collaborating with the community.

Oh! and I understand there are $ZEN holding requirements to submit a Non-Technical ZenIP/EONIP proposal to the DAO, but we wanted to approach the community regardless and ask you directly if this project is something the Horizen DAO would be open to fund.

4 Likes

Hi Shirley,

Thank you for the proposal!

Regardless of the grant, could you please provide answers to the following questions:

1. Could you share more about how you plan to integrate Horizen into your videos?
  2. I’ve noticed that you don’t have a substantial number of subscribers on your channel. How do you plan to increase that?
  3. I noticed Horizen Labs listed as a partner on your website. Could you share more about that partnership?

Cheers,

1 Like

Hi @martindoc

Thank you for your questions!

Here are the answers :slight_smile:

1. Horizen DAO would be recognized as sponsor by having their logo in the video’s “intro screen” and a “shout-out” / thank you message at the end of each video.

2. Good question! The goal of publishing the videos on Youtube is to make them accessible and discoverable to the largest possible audience, rather than growing the channel it self. For that reason, there is no action plan to specifically grow the number of subscribers to the channel.
    That being said, in terms of visibility/promotion for the videos (which I think is what’s at the heart of your question), we have a mailing list, social media channels and direct partnerships with other Organizations, in addition to schools and Universities.

3. Certainly! over the past few years the PRBTA has actively fostered connections with various organizations and leaders within the web3 space in Puerto Rico, including Horizen Labs. A few months ago Rob Viglione joined the PRBTA board, to help support our mission to make Web3 accessible to puertorricans. Recently (December 2023), Horizen Labs collaborated with the PRBTA to co-organize an event in Washington DC, featuring SEC commissioner Pierce and the Blockchain Association.

Let me know if there’s more you’d like to know!

Have a lovely day,

1 Like

Hello, is i possible to make a animated video explaining everything new horizen. Like a updated version of this https://youtu.be/3q6IvMRWapc?si=klzoXPxFTv9Y8BUK

1 Like

Hi Robin!

Yes! absolutely, it is possible. I would be happy to submit a separate proposal for a series of short Horizen-focused explainer videos like the one you’ve shared.

There are a few things I would need from Horizen, such as a team member who can assist me in developing the scripts, and someone to ultimately approve them… although, it has to me that maybe we could co-create the scripts with community feedback, and have the community be part of the approval process. It as a DAO after all.

It could be fun!

Thank you for asking :slight_smile:

Hi Shirley, welcome to our community.

I have some questions:

Can you provide more details on the curriculum or topics covered in your Web3 literacy video series?

How many videos do you plan to produce in total, and what will be the average duration of each video?

What is the timeline for the production and release of these videos?

How do you plan to measure the impact of your video series on the audience’s understanding of Web3 technologies?

Can you provide a detailed breakdown of the $21K budget? How will these funds be allocated across the video production process?

What makes the Horizen platform a suitable partner for your project, in your view?

What metrics or indicators will you use to gauge the success of the video series?

1 Like

Hello!

All of these are great questions, thank you!
I’ve summarized the answers for you bellow, but you can find all the details in this document. Please, let me know if you have issues opening it.

1.Can you provide more details on the curriculum or topics covered in your Web3 literacy video series?

Absolutely! Here are the tentative video titles, followed by a general description of the topics covered.

1. ¿Qué es la Web 3.0? | What is the Web 3.0?

A brief introduction to the concept of the Web 3.0

1. Bitcoin: el Principio | Bitcoin: The Beginning

An introduction to Bitcoin and blockchain technology.

1. Etherium y los Contratos Inteligentes | Ethereum and Smart Contracts

Understanding how and why Ethereum is different to the Bitcoin network. An non-technical introduction to smart contracts.

1. NFTs & la Propiedad Digital | NFTs & Digital Ownership

What exactly are NFTs, and how do they enable digital ownership?

1. The Metaverse: Facts and Fiction

A primer on the Metaverse in relation to the concept of Web3.0.

1. Web 3.0 Navigation

What you need to know to access the decentralized Web safely and effectively.

1. How many videos do you plan to produce in total, and what will be the average duration of each video?

The video series is meant to have the 6 videos total and each video will be 12 - 15 minutes long.

1. What is the timeline for the production and release of these videos?

The rough time line of production for the series is 3 - 4 months, as each video takes about 2 weeks to make from end-to-end. We can have each video be delivered ever 2.5 weeks and published immediately as a milestone, or work on them in parallel and deliver them in “bulks” of 2, 3 or 6. Both of these have their pros and cons.

1. How do you plan to measure the impact of your video series on the audience’s understanding of Web3 technologies?

I love this question!
There are three strategies:

1. Intended audience feedback - as part of the pre-production process curated parts of the script are shared with our intended audience for feedback. This is an important step to make sure the complexity of Web 3 related concepts are being communicated effectively. And even though it is not a measurement point perse, it is a way of gaging a base level of comprehension.
  2. Video Comments - Every video encourages the audience to leave feedback/additional questions in the comments.
  3. Incentivized survey - at the end of every video we will ask the audience to complete a short Google form in exchange for an incentive. The survey ask will also be included in email blast.

We could also integrate some kind of on-chain activity to help us gauge if we’re converting the audience into active Web3 navigators… that’s something to explore!

1. Can you provide a detailed breakdown of the $21K budget? How will these funds be allocated across the video production process?

The 21K budget covers the entire production of 5 videos at 3.5K each, in addition to the required updates to the Pilot episode, and a limited budget to trim the completed videos to social media ready 60-second clips.

Here’s the breakdown for the end-to-end video budget.

| Task | Budget
|
| — | — |
| Research | $360 |
| Script Writing / Intended audience feedback | $1440 |
| Presenting & Recording | $200 |
| Collection & Organization | $180 |
| Video Editing & supporting graphics | $960 |
| Post-Production | $360 |
| Total | $3500 |

Please, reference the document for the full breakdown.

1. What makes the Horizen platform a suitable partner for your project, in your view?

Horizen’s guiding values align with ours, and I believe so does our ultimate goal: to make valuable contributions to the Web3 ecosystem by coming together and bringing forth the best in our communities. In addition, Horizen Labs’ leadership has been very supportive of our Web3 Literacy work in Puerto Rico, and this partnership would be another way for us to stand together in favor of making Web3 accessible to everyone.

1. What metrics or indicators will you use to gauge the success of the video series

The success will be gauge by positive comments, shares and views of each video.

Thanks again for your questions! :blush:

1 Like

I saw on another thread that @blockops is planning a comprehensive technical video explaining NH. Not to say that @Shirley or others can’t collaborate or tackle parts of it in different ways…

1 Like