Incentivized testnet for Proof Verification chain

If a zenIP passes for a new token for the proof verification chain, there will be need for testing and integration.

We should definitely have a multiple phase incentivized testnet!

This may need to be part of a tokenomics study, or perhaps we can do a zenip just for a token carve-out to authorize incentivized testnet.

Maybe having an incentivized testnet needs a zenip of its own. If so, this can be the discussion for it.

We can use it to generate partnership participation, hosted validator staking preparation, bug finding, and possibly end user interest.

Does anyone have good examples of incentivized testnets they have seen?

Edit - Added 23 April:

Proof Verification Chain and Token Incentivized testnet ZenIP Discussion

Recommend allocating 5% of initial token creation for incentivized testnet

User Groups

These are the different user groups that can be incentivized with the proof verification incentivized testnet:

Infrastructure providers:

• Validator operators
  • Collator operators
  • RPC node operators
  • Hosted staking operators
  • Ecosystem operators - indexers, analytics

Builder Development partners

• ZK Rollups for Ethereum and other EVM’s
  • ZK L2’s for Bitcoin
  • ZK Proof system developers
  • Rollups as a Service for Ethereum space
  • ZK Application builders - voting, gaming, supply chain, verified computation

Access

• Centralized exchanges
  • Fiat onramp/offramps
  • Bridges to other chains

End Users

• Wallets
  • Staking

Phases

Recommend 4 phases of incentivized testnet, with 5% of initial token allocation. There should be an application process to run a validator on the testnet to make sure each participant will be active and engaged in improving the blockchain

Phase 1 - 50 validators - 0.5% token
Get the testnet up and running normally with many validators.

Phase 2 - 100 validators - 1.0% token
Test proof verification by validators, consensus, and reliability. Test RPC for functions.

Phase 3 - 200 validators - 1.5% token
Test staking, wallets, voting, governance.

Phase 4 - 500 validators - 2.0% token
Test all aspects of the blockchain at a high level of activity.

7 Likes

Maybe something like this 4 stage series from Aptos would be useful in generating interest in our token launch.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good idea to generate buzz, interest, and a robust testing environment to ensure an optimal launch.

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of this! Great idea @blockops

3 Likes

I like the idea a lot!

Arbitrum and Optimism rewarded testnet users.
Starknet is also a good example.
Celestia, OMNI, Dymension as well from recent launches.

5 Likes

It’s a good idea. we can look forward to both testing and buzz from rewards.

4 Likes

I really like the idea of having a multi-phase incentivized testnet, but I think allocating 5% of the initial token creation might be a bit too much. Perhaps we could consider adjusting the allocation to ensure a balance between incentivizing participation and preserving token value.

3 Likes

In the Aptos link I included, they had 30,000 applicants for 100 validator slots!

We also will need some kind of token distribution mechanism going forward. There is definite value to helping build a proof verification system that works on the day it goes live. Not sure what that value is, but it is significant

4 Likes

I really like the idea of having a multi-phase incentivized testnet, but I think allocating 5% of the initial token creation might be a bit too much.

4 Likes

May be we need something like a WL to be validator

A cool idea , that alone will be a great publicity initiative. However, 5% initial token allocation for that is a bit much IMO.

1 Like

that’s a crazy amount of over subscription, wow!

1 Like

What is WL? I don’t know what that means

A WL is a white list

We’ll see when we have some tokenomics proposals what 5% of initial supply ends up looking like. If it ends up being some small in terms of long run supply, it could make sense. I agree that 5% of anything close to long run supply is probably too much for early testnet users to receive.

Completely agree that incentivized testnet would need a whitelist. People and organizations would apply, and only ones accepted should be part of the token compensated technical exercise

2 Likes