ZenIp: 42400 - Modernizing Horizen Technology via a Modular Proof Verification Layer

Hi team🫡

Is there any publicly available data to support the $47 million cost calculation and 90-95% savings?

Absolutely, NH is different in a fundamental way: we’re modularizing a different part of the blockchain stack (proof verification) and for different customers (ZK rollups and ZKP-based dApps).

1 Like

Great questions. Here’s a quick stab:

1. Sometimes it’s best to pivot entirely when what you’re doing isn’t working, but even so, NH is a concept that we can implement because of the work we’ve done historically. It was our throughline in ZKP expertise, from being a privacy coin, to building Zendoo, to now building NH that enables this.
  2. Please ref some of the thread above specific to developing NH. HL has already prototyped the concept in about a month and is in the end stages of a testnet build that we can release in 1-2 months. It doesn’t get much faster than this in the world of protocol dev. The reason we can move this fast is due to much improved software dev processes and that we’re using well-established frameworks, like Substrate, instead of building things from scratch. It’s allowing us to integrate mostly existing technologies in a novel way and focus on the piece of it that matters and is unique to solving this problem (fast, efficient ZK proof verification).
  3. I think we miss out on the bull market if we keep doing the same stuff that hasn’t been working. We’ve been heavily socializing this NH concept with VCs, investors, crypto OGs, builders, etc. and everyone loves it. It’s a refreshingly new narrative that just makes sense and the market needs it.
3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

Does ZenIP42400 vote also finalize the change from POW to POS?

1 Like

At least for the proof verification layer, yes. This explicitly is being bid as PoS in this proposal. We’ll have another round of decisions to make as a community when it’s time to migrate “Old Horizen” to the full “New Horizen” vision. Until then, OH is still operating using PoW and this first element of NH will use PoS.

2 Likes

I have been working on making these ideas more straightforward, and intend to do a video explainer of New Horizen proof verification chain. Here is a work in progress slide.

I did not create this slide - I’ve had a lot of help from Horizen Labs technical and marketing team :grinning:

4 Likes

Thank you Rob.
I have some questions.
NH = POS
OH = POW
What is the criterion for dividing the two?
What is the difference between the quantities?
Will we know when the vote is over?

The vote ends on Sunday per the Snapshot election. $ZEN is the currency for both layers and we have some options to choose from in how to implement a split of the supply across both platforms with the goal of eventually deprecating OH and bringing all $ZEN onto NH. The key point, though, is whatever implementation path is chosen, there won’t be any changes to the $ZEN supply. Our goal is to keep tokenomics exactly the same. If there are any needed changes, for whatever reason, that’d require another ZenIP. I don’t foresee that being the case.

re: your clarifying questions, you are correct:
NH = PoS
OH = PoW

One other obvious point, but I’ll say it anyway, EON = PoS in its current implementation and for when it transitions into NH. No changes there.

3 Likes

Vote has passed. Thank you to all who participated. A new chapter begins.

5 Likes

Does https://verkle.info/ fit into new Horizen’s plan? Vitalik is a fan of it.

Funny but that’s exactly what our team is evaluating now. We’ll have a more cogent response in some days, but my preliminary thoughts are (1) this is going to take some time to roll out on Ethereum (read: years), and (2) even when it does, there will still be a deep need for ZKP verification across the industry. We’ll adapt however the industry evolves, so I’m not too concerned at this point.

1 Like

@finpunk
When will “Modular Proof Verification Layer” development be completed?
If you have a timeline, please share for us.

The verification layer should be released to testnet in < 2 months and my complete guestimate to mainnet would be about 6 months from now. More detailed Roadmap and project plans forthcoming. We’re racing now to get the basic MVP to testnet so that partners can start using it and we can ramp up learnings from there.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply!
I hope everything goes well as planned.

2 Likes

Wen roadmap :slight_smile: ?

Who will be able to participate in the testnet?

1 Like

I have some suggestions to pump up $ZEN more than a hundred times

1. Technical level

I strongly recommend that you use a separate relay chain as the Modular Proof Verification Layer. $ZEN as the relay chain coin like $DOT or $KSM.
And recommend that you use a parachin as settlement layer. also use $ZEN as gas.

1. Application level
    Maybe ZenIp 42400 technology has been implemented, but no one may use it, then causing $ZEN price to slump.
    Polkadot will achieve heterogeneous cross-chain this year.
    So you should use these settlement assets to build a DEX chain on settlement layer.

2. Stake $ZEN to lauchpad new coins

At this stage $ZEN will reach $1000+

I know Horizen like this.

Horizen is not a project focused on anonymous transfers. If traditional companies want to use blockchain, they need to protect their customers’ data. By focusing on data-privacy protection using zero-knowledge proofs and creating a smart contract platform, Horizen aims to create a blockchain for traditional enterprises and a blockchain platform for many blockchains.

But doesn’t this require sidechains to be built on top of the mainchain’s platform?

I wonder if something like this is possible if the mainchain is a modular blockchain.

So you’re correct that Horizen is no longer about anon transfers, and hence being a privacy coin. We had two ZenIPs that effectively removed all of that.

The concept in this ZenIP of launching a modular proof verification layer is the first part of what we’re calling “New Horizen,” which will ultimately also include a new settlement layer. Once that modernized settlement layer goes live, we can talk about deprecating the old mainchain with Zendoo, which was the concept for sidechains.

How the native NH ecosystem evolves is tbd still, but we’re going to market right away in the near term servicing ZK rollups on Ethereum and then adjacent markets, providing proof verification services for any aspect of ZK in Web3 that wants to use our platform. We also envision native ZKRs in NH that make use of our settlement layer, and then we also have EON that will transition from the current system into NH, likely with a major tech upgrade. EON will remain Horizen’s Web3 execution environment for smart contracting and there’s also another idea to make it a central liquidity layer for the ecosystem, so that any ZKR that launches within NH can make use of liquidity natively from EON.

Anyway, much to come on this expansive vision, but it all starts with this ZenIP (which was already approved with 100% of the vote) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I appreciate your answer. I think Horizen is well on its way to its goal. Hope it goes as planned.

1 Like