New ZenIP Idea: Lowering the threshold for proposing non-technical ZenIPs

At the risk of overcomplicating the system, perhaps we could create a ZenIP waiting room, where people could indicate through a pre-vote their support for a ZenIP, and once the threshold of proposal was reached, it could then become a formal proposal.

That way many smaller ZEN holders could come together to craft a ZenIP which would then be available to progress to a full vote

3 Likes

I like the idea but I think that we should lower the threshold as well. The waiting room would be helpful to determine priorities

This is good. It would allow us to receive a variety of proposals and establish a voting structure. In this structure, accounts or wallets created just one month before the voting date would not be permitted to vote ensuring that irrelevant spamming is prevented.

2 Likes

I know that hitting the 10% threshold for technical ZenIPs is tough due to lack of voter participation, but Iā€™m also a bit concerned that major technical changes could slip through the cracks that fundamentally alter the system and yet receive sorta trivial participation. Thus far weā€™ve been able to make the 10% threshold workā€¦just barely, but it has been successful. I also hope that as we get more DAO experience as a community and both EON and New Horizen drive a ton more users and engagement, we see a marked increase in voter participation.

All that said, the non-technical ZenIP threshold coming down I donā€™t see as controversial, itā€™s just that changing major components of our network ought to be taken with strong circumspection.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure a ZenIP waiting room is required, since thatā€™s more or less the purpose of submitting an ā€œideaā€ on Discourse. Since anyone can post an idea, the hope is that this would function as a ā€œtemperature checkā€ or ā€œpre-voteā€, whereby other community members can signal their support and band together to draft and submit a formal ZenIP if there is enough support.

As for the thresholds, we can limit this particular ZenIP to lowering the non-technical proposal threshold, and leave the quorum thresholds unchanged.

3 Likes

I agree with not needing a separate ā€œwaiting roomā€ for ZenIPs, since thatā€™s exactly what the ā€œZenIP Ideaā€ threads are for on Discourse.

1 Like

I suggested it as a way for multiple people who have less than the required amount of ZEN to post a ZenIP, to join together their ZEN to exceed the threshold.

It would directly address the specific issue of someone wanting to propose a ZenIP who does not have the required amount of ZEN to be able to do so, then rally others to their cause.

But that might be for a very minor use case

1 Like

That makes sense. I was confusing the concept of making an idea public, like we already do here in Discourse, with meeting the minimum requirement to post a ZenIP.

1 Like

A kind of queue room can be interesting to prioritize the ZenIPs before the voting periods. But we will see if we need that in the future. Right now, the idea is focused solely on lowering the threshold (and not the quorum)

1 Like

Hey all, Iā€™m back again. I looked into this quorum threshold question to see what some of the major DAOs do. They define quorum as (all % of supply):

-Arbitrum DAO: 5% Constitutional / 3% Non-Constitutional;
-ENS DAO: 1%
-Uniswap DAO: 4%
-Compound: 4%
-BitDAO: 1%

This reinforces my view that the existing quorum thresholds are too high, and recent votes have not surpassed the quorum by much. I think that a quorum of 4% or 5% would be appropriate for both technical and non-technical proposals in the Horizen DAO.

And I still stand by my earlier suggestion of lowering the proposal thresholds per the below. I think this would balance making voting more accessible with preventing spamming / a ā€œfree-for-allā€ situation.

Submission Requirements:
ā€“Technical: Change from 200K $Zen to 100K $Zen
ā€“Non-Technical: Change from 100K $Zen to 25K $Zen

2 Likes

OK Iā€™m coming around to agreeing on this, as well. I didnā€™t realize that we were 2x - 10x higher than other major DAOS, so now Iā€™m in favor of reducing the threshold and the submission requirements. FWIW a conservative path is to just copy what Arbitrum is doing and having 5% for technical proposals and 3% for non-technical.

3 Likes

The ZenIP is being written right now.
We will propose to lower the threshold and the quorum.

2 Likes